Friday, May 21, 2010

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

I'm playing in the pit for my high school's production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. When I first got the music, I checked out a recording from the library and listened to it... and was appalled.
Evidently the original broadway cast was atrocious.
I'm pleased to report that our production doesn't make me cringe in pain (unlike the original broadway cast recording). In fact, it's quite good.
However, this musical contains the most random, unnecessary reprise that I have ever encountered in my experience with musical theatre.
There's a scene where the Pharaoh is explaining his dream to Joseph (in song and dance, of course... it IS a musical). At the end of the scene, Joseph walks up to Pharaoh and says (I'm paraphrasing): "I'm sorry... I missed something. Could you do that again?"

So he does.

Really, Andrew Lloyd Webber? REALLY?

Whatever. Anyway, come see the show!

No comments: