Monday, May 24, 2010

My dad is the editor of our local newspaper. Today, he told me he wanted me to come in and count quarters he collected from newspaper racks.

I spent almost four hours turning this:

Into this:

It was mind-numbingly dull.

There were $2,476.25 worth of quarters.

10 quarters per stack, with 4x10 groups of stacks. Each group had $100 in it.

But I wore my new shoes that I got yesterday, and they kept me comfortable as I stayed on my feet:

After I was done, I went home and transposed some music for alto saxophone into concert

pitch, so I could play it on the flute for Joseph… Dreamcoat.

While doing so, I found this nifty little notation anomaly:

For those of you who can read music, finger through measure SOMETHING. See if there’s anything weird about it to you.

For those of you who cannot read music, I’ll tell you what’s weird about it.

If you look at the notes in measure SOMETHING, you will see that the noteheads progressively rise from the beginning of the measure to the end.

However, the accidentals in front of them mean that the third note is actually lower than the second note.

In other words, IT’S STUPID AND MISLEADING.

Thanks, Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Thanks.

The show looks really good, though! Come see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat as presented by the Davie High Arts Department on May 27-30 at the Brock Performing Arts Center!

No comments: