Sunday, August 16, 2009

creative solutions to breaking your right wrist two days before you go off to college to major in piano performance

As I mentioned yesterday, I fell and hurt my hand. Upon x-ray examination today, we found out that I have a non-displaced distal-radial fracture in my right side, more commonly known as a broken wrist. I have a wrist brace which I need to wear for the next for to six weeks.
However, this is not the end of the world. I can still hold my flute, although playing is a more difficult than it was before. I don't know if I'll be able to move it to and from attention for marching band, but I probably will be able to.
Piano will be more difficult. However, Paul Wittgenstein was a concert pianist who had his right hand blown off during World War I. He then commissioned several piano pieces for left hand, including the Ravel concerto below.
Here are several ideas I had for possible left-handed repertoire for my first semester.

Bach Chaconne, transcribed by Brahms for left hand




Ravel Concerto for Left Hand (maybe? It's extremely difficult, and I don't know if I would get the chance to perform it.)



Scriabin Prelude and Nocturne for Left Hand


I'm going to make this work. This is possible. I'm sure my teachers will have ideas too.
I leave tomorrow!

No comments: